Last Tuesday night (a week ago) - really Wednesday morning, since it was 2:00AM by the time I took action - I had another attack of belly pain. I rousted Marlene and we drove off to the Emergency Room. Again.
The doctor who treated me saw that it was exactly like the previous episode of diverticulitis back in June that resulted in my knee surgery being canceled. However, he decided he should check me out thoroughly even so, and ordered a CAT scan. He also gave me intravenous Demerol for pain - and it made me truly miserable. My blood-pressure dropped and I was left so nauseated that I could barely drink the CAT scan contrast liquid (not a pleasant business at the best of times) and I went very slowly with what I did choke down.
That dragged the process out. But finally the CAT scan was done, and to my surprise, the doctor said my appendix looked a bit iffy. A surgeon (Dr. Mahdavian) was called in, and I was admitted to the hospital. Dr. Mahdavian saw me around 11:00AM and discussed my options - seems that nothing was really clear. It might be appendicitis or it might not; surgery might resolve the situation or it might not.
I ended up opting for surgery, that is, laparoscopic removal of my appendix and examination of my innards in that general area. It would mean at the least that I wouldn't have to be concerned about my appendix again, and if that wasn't the problem, the doctor might be able to see what was. So - at about 1:00PM I had the surgery.
Fortunately, intelligently, the surgeon told Marlene the results - rather than me. And when I woke up enough, she told me. It seems my appendix was just starting to get infected. So that was it - surgery was a good choice.
That was Wednesday, and Friday I came home. Now I'm busy recovering. Tomorrow the stitches come out.